Master of Arts in Teaching Art Education is For those with a Bachelor's degree who are seeking a K-12 teaching certification
In this program, highly individualized instruction focuses on your creative practice and your teaching. This program is for artists who already have a Bachelor of Fine Art or Bachelor of Art, enjoy working with children, and want to share their passion for art by teaching K-12. The MAT curriculum is designed by certified educators and the work strikes a balance between theory and practice.To view the complete MAT program guide, please click here.
- Personal Artist Statement: 1 page explaining what inspires you to be creative
- Statement of Purpose: 1 page, explaining the reason for wanting to become an educator and your philosophy of the importance of art education
- Official Transcripts, applicants must submit proof that they have earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Art Portfolio, 20 recent images showing competency in various mediums (samples of drawing, painting, printmaking, photography, sculpture, ceramics, digital media)
- Names and contact of 3 references
- Praxis Core and Praxis II test # 5134
Master of Arts in Teaching Art Education Dual Degree BFA/MAT: Earn both a Bachelor of Fine Arts and Master of Arts in Teaching Art Education with K-12 certification in 5 years!
Our Bachelor of Fine Art and Master of Arts in Teaching Art Education program is perfect for the undergraduate who has a passion for the arts and dreams of a future in teaching. The dual degree provides both degrees in five years instead of six—saving time and money and getting you into the classroom faster! For more information about this program please click here.
"The MAT program at NEC has structured their courses to build upon each other in a way that has helped me gain access to the content through deeply meaningful learning experiences that has left me feeling abundantly prepared for my career as an art educator. From beginning to end, each and every person who has helped, from my admissions counselor to my fabulously supportive advisors, has really invested in me and made me feel supported, capable, and confident throughout my journey to become the educator I've always wanted to be." - Catherine Morris, Student
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Damaris Gibaldi, Graduate Admissions Counselor